[MUD-Dev] Question about Cygwin.

Eli Stevens wickedgrey at wickedgrey.com
Fri Mar 9 12:30:47 CET 2001

----- Original Message -----
From: "Chris Bunting" <spindiggy at yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: [MUD-Dev] Question about Cygwin.

> Thanks to everyone who has replied. I think maybe I had missed some
> info regarding compiling a mud with cygwin.
>
> Just as a note, I'm using WinME and cygwin. I wouldn't have had to
> bother you all if I was running linux.
>
> I have compiled about 10 servers using cygwin. For those unfamiliar
> with cygwin, You simply add a small line to the makefile. Then, Any
> linux mud server compiles and runs on windows with the cygwin.dll.

You also might be interested in the UWIN libraries.  They are a Win32
implementation of all the missing function calls needed for POSIX
compliance.  I actually got MUQ to compile and run[1] as a native
Win32 app (well, native in the sense nothing was being emulated - I
still had to use the environment that it set up for environment vars
and all that).  Of course, nothing beats running Linux apps on Linux,
but if you don't have a spare box and don't intend on going public
with it, it should be just fine.  Be prepared to tweak a little,
though.  :P

  http://www.research.att.com/sw/tools/uwin/

Hmm.  I should put this in the Library...  :)

<EdBote: Thanks.  Library entry approved>

Enjoy,
Eli

[1] - Of course, I was only able to do it once.  Even though I
documented my steps, I cannot repeat the feat now.  Sigh...  ;) I
think that this had more to do with MUQ than the libraries, though.