[MUD-Dev] data structure design in a new mud

Justin Coleman JMCOLE at ENOREE.DJJ.STATE.SC.US
Fri Mar 9 14:52:00 CET 2001

<posting from work, I hope this goes through>

Hi all, I have another question - this time about design issues.

I'm working right now on coding a new mud from scratch, and I've hit a
snag. What is a good way to store objects in a mud? Specifically
in-game objects, like swords and such. Is it worth the (apparent)
design time and effort of keeping one central list of all items, or is
it all right to have smaller lists, one for each room and each player
that has items?

I seem to be doing fairly well with the player and room structures,
but it seems to me that there's no "clean" way to have one list of all
the items in a world without having ungodly numbers of pointers back
and forth.

Any suggestions? If there is a thread on this in the archives, I'll
happily read that, but I can't seem to access kanga.nu at work.

Thanks!
   -Justin