[MUD-Dev] Lava and RPGs

Daniel.Harman at barclayscapital.com Daniel.Harman at barclayscapital.com
Fri Mar 9 16:36:36 CET 2001

> On 08 March 2001 10:57, Brian Hook wrote :

> SolA, SolB, HighPass and Kelethin all come to mind, because
> effectively these areas aren't testing your character at all,
> they're testing your connection and your ability to navigate in
> first person perspective.  I mean, Kelethin -- ACK!  What kind of
> lunacy is that?!  Blind falloffs that hopefully lead to ramps going
> down, inconsistent ramp markers, and no railings.  And it's a
> starting city where newbies learn the game!

I was going to agree with you but... something dawned on me. How is
not walking off a platform any different, to not accidently running
too close to a monster that will hand you back your inards?

I tend to think its just a part of the genre. Having said that, you
are right, there is no reason you should be able to fall off a
platform in kelethin. I think the 3D based Ultima worked on the basis
that you couldn't (I only played it for 20 mins as it ran so badly on
my PC at the time).

It all seems a bit hazy to me though - what about traps? If you have
better control skills, and know where they are, you can avoid them
without your chars save vs traps being tested etc. Without really
being able to divorce the two sides of the argument, at least I can't,
perhaps its just arbitrary where you draw the line.

Everquest has a new zone since you left though, which is
inexcusable. There is a place called Velketor's Lab where the floor is
splippery and the chances of you falling to your demise really are
unfeasibly high. Its not unlike a level in Super Mario except the EQ
engine and controls aren't sufficiently good to make it fun even for
those into that kind of thing.

Dan