[MUD-Dev] New Bartle article

rayzam rayzam at home.com
Fri Mar 9 18:06:32 CET 2001

----- Original Message -----
From: "Marc Bowden" <ryumo at merit.edu>
To: <mud-dev at kanga.nu>
Sent: Thursday, March 08, 2001 7:08 AM
Subject: RE: [MUD-Dev] New Bartle article

> I've only ever encountered one definition of "fair" wielded by
> players, that being whatever rule or mechanic lets them run unchecked
> over other individuals or groups. Conversely, anything that limits
> their ability to hurt someone else, limits their personal power, or
> acts as a point of game balance is "unfair."

Not the full story though. There's the hazing effect too. If I had to
work so hard for this, that and the other thing, then if you get it
easier, it devalues what I have. Hence fair means someone going
through at least the same level of effort as I did for the same
reward. Or the converse, anything that doesn't limit someone else as
much as they were limited...

    rayzam