[MUD-Dev] Introduction Systems

Kwon Ekstrom justice at softhome.net
Sun Mar 11 06:54:37 CET 2001

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ben Chambers" <bjchambers at phoenixdsl.com>

> of the ID number.  I mean, each file for each player storing each
> players name assosciated with their id number could become VERY
> large, VERY fast. Assuming you have 3 digit ID numbers, and have 999
> people playing, with each name having an average length of 9
> letters, you then have to store 11,976,012 bytes of information.  I
> think that 12

I imagine that you are exagerating in this, since the lowest binary
number capable of holding 999 is 11 bits with a max value of 1024, and
depending on encoding, standard ascii being 8 bits per char, unicode I
beleive uses 32 bits, 9*8 is 72bits giving a total of 83 for id and
name, 32*9 is 288bits for a total of 299

It would take thousands of records for just the name and id to reach 1
mb (12633 records at 83bits, 3506 at 299bits)

In all actuallity, I'm using a unique name system for players, and
although I intend to support a vnum system using a full 32 bit integer
for mobs.

Now, all said and done, I don't think a single player's record should
ever get much higher than perhaps 100k or at the very extreme 500k (I
know of a mud that had a problem with infinite containers where
players had on occassion taken up a mb of space until the problem was
fixed, after acquiring litterally thousands upon thousands of items)

-- Kwon Ekstrom