[MUD-Dev] New Bartle article

Travis Casey efindel at earthlink.net
Sun Mar 11 21:32:10 CET 2001

Timothy Dang wrote:
> On Thu, 8 Mar 2001, Travis Casey wrote:

>> To semi-quote Robert Plamondon in his book _Through Dungeons Deep:
>> A Fantasy Gamer's Handbook_:

>>   "The story of a great hero isn't complete until it recounts that
>>   hero's great and noble death."

> I wonder how much does that mean the death must have a good story?
> Certainly one of my all-time-favorite paper RPG memories is of a
> particularly poignant death of my character. The manner of the death
> was well-tuned by a creative GM to the story, and the particulars of
> my character. I don't regret this death.

> I don't imagine that such a thing would be likely to happen in a
> MUD, so I don't know if I could ever get the same satisfaction. I'm
> not a serious RPer, though. Perhaps those who are can build the good
> stories

Such things can happen in roleplaying-focused muds.  For example, in a
MUSH which requires consent for actions or storylines to have
permanent effects, a player might choose to have his/her character die
if he/she likes the way in which it will happen.

--
       |\      _,,,---,,_     Travis S. Casey  <efindel at earthlink.net>