Digital Property Law [was RE: [MUD-Dev] Selling training]

rayzam rayzam at home.com
Mon Mar 12 20:05:55 CET 2001

----- Original Message -----
From: <the_logos at www.achaea.com>
To: <mud-dev at kanga.nu>
Sent: Sunday, March 11, 2001 3:22 PM
Subject: RE: Digital Property Law [was RE: [MUD-Dev] Selling training]

> I think that is a little far-fetched. The sole example I can think
> of where an organization is required (or even allowed) to have its
> own police and court systems is the military, which is a special
> case.

Actually, many private academic institutions have both those
rights. And people pay for the privilege too.

> If courts treat stealing virtual objects as real crimes, then I
> don't see any way they can avoid having to investigate and prosecute
> the crimes themselves. I don't see this happening. It'd be
> essentially impossible for them. I imagine a cop logging into Achaea
> to investigate a crime. He'd get nowhere at all. Further, given that
> there can be a _total_ lack of hard evidence in a mud, I don't see
> how proof of guilt could be established.

Unfortunately, since the people involved aren't likely to be in the
same state, it would make it a federal issue. Which means they'd pull
all the machines and code first, and search it later. Besides that, it
may up to you to have all necessary logs, which may lead to
obstruction or accessory charges. All this is *assuming* there's an
actual legal issue here.

    rayzam