[MUD-Dev] Modular Design Issues RFC

Ryan Rhodes ryanshaerhodes at hotmail.com
Mon Mar 12 22:15:34 CET 2001

>  Kwon Ekstrom wrote:

> Output is non-blocking in the sense that it always returns in a
> short amount of time, what I'm talking about by non-blocking is the
> fact that I check for data in the input stream before pulling from
> it.  The read methods in java will block the thread until the stream
> receives enough data for it to return.

Let's say I put my data backend on another machine on the local
network and do periodic saves of the whole game out to the database.
If I just wrote the entire game object (the whole runtime basically)
out to that other machine with an Object Output Stream can I still
consider that a short ammount of time?  Is the delay for writing
output proportional to the size of the output?  Also, is this delay
unrelated to weather its written over a network or to the local disk
on a separate thread?

Ryan Rhodes