[MUD-Dev] Habbo Hotel...

Travis Nixon tnixon at avalanchesoftware.com
Wed Mar 14 10:22:07 CET 2001

Andrew Wilson Wrote:

> Perhaps another form of payment could come with sponsorship as
> product placement.  In the Habbo's private room the graphics are
> much larger than the main communal areas.  The image of the Habbo is
> large enough to hold a company logo.  So you might be able to see
> Nike or GAP paying to get their names in the Habbo wardrobe.  Users
> might even wish to pay to wear the logoed clothes, they do so in
> real-life of course.  How much longer before this is commonplace in
> games like The Sims?

This is yet something else I've spent some time thinking about.  In an
futuristic online RPG, would Coca-Cola be willing to pay to have a
bulletin-board style ad pasted on the sides of freighters?  If you
provided the facilities to make it possible, would they be willing to
have a physical presence (er, virtually physical?) in your game?  An
actual place that players could visit that might provide information
similar to a website, or maybe something else entirely?  Would Nike be
willing to sponsor a line of shoes in your game?  And how much would
they be willing to pay if said shoes made characters run faster?  In a
truly epic style storyline that pits the players against the big evil
bad guys from another dimension, would Levi Strauss be willing to
"sponsor" the effort, and "provide" uniforms?

Obviously none of these things work in a traditional fantasy setting,
but I'm ok with that, cause I don't want one of those anyway.  My
preference is for a good mix of future scifi and non-traditional
fantasy (that has enough recognizable elements so that people aren't
scared away because nothing's familiar, yet has enough originality
that it won't be a rehash of everything we're all so tired of), based
on a backstory rather similar to Palladium's Rifts RPG in ways, yet
very different in others.  In such a context, melding the "real" world
with a fantasy one, real-world advertising could possibly work.

Could possibly...but would it?  I dunno.  These are just the kinds of
things I think about.  Pretty much just my brain running at the mouth.
(or is that foaming...)