[MUD-Dev] Introduction Systems

Kwon Ekstrom justice at softhome.net
Wed Mar 14 11:36:53 CET 2001

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ben Chambers" <bjchambers at phoenixdsl.com>
> From: "Kwon Ekstrom" <justice at softhome.net>

>> I personally don't use ID numbers for my players, since it'd be
>> rather confusing to be holding a meeting about a troublemaker named
>> Krule for example, if there are 8 players who use the name.  It'd
>> be fairly difficult, unless there was repeated discussion to follow
>> one about Player 985.

> Names would still be in require ASCII or Unicode.

Obviously names would require character encoding, my system doesn't
use id numbers... your system apparently does, my point was why don't
you store your integer values as binary?

Also, looking at your equations, it seems that you're preserving space
for the number of possible combinations...

Your Equation being:

  P * ( P * (N + 3))

N being length of name, p being number of players.

It seems more logical to save a list of unique ID numbers of the players
that you know.  In ASCII This would be:

  1,2,3,4,5

etc... that's ID numbers + comma delimiter, of course it'd save more
space to use binary.

Your bits would equate to (I*10) where I is the number of people
you've been introduced to, 10 bit integers give a max value of 1023,
although a full 16 bit integer wouldn't hurt, making it less likely
that you'd need to update the system.

-- Kwon Ekstrom