FW: [MUD-Dev] Interesting EQ rant (very long quote)

shren shren at io.com
Thu Mar 15 03:59:09 CET 2001

On Wed, 14 Mar 2001, John Buehler wrote:

>>> The password example could be to gain entry into a hunting area,
>>> or to gain access to a black market area, whatever.

>> That's where I'd say the password example, for a multiplayer game,
>> is a Bad Idea.  Works fine for single player.  Bad for multiplayer.
>> Whether it's in a quest or in something else.

>> You can achieve the same result by using some other mechanic -
>> something that makes sense for multiplayer games, say.

> It would be of significant help to me if you were to provide an
> example of a multiplayer mechanism that you believe would work.

Unique passwords.  Each player can do the foo quest to pass into the
bar area once.  The first time the foo quest is done, it generates a
word that can get *one* person into bar the bar area.  If you do the
foo quest, and give someone else the word, and they use the word to
get into bar, then you're SOL.