[MUD-Dev] Introduction Systems

Kwon Ekstrom justice at softhome.net
Thu Mar 15 06:52:51 CET 2001

----- Original Message -----
From: "Travis Casey" <efindel at earthlink.net>

> Why?  There's no technical reason why names *have* to be in one of

Personally, I'm not going to go through the trouble to save me a
couple bits here and there with 20gb hard drives are under $200, which
even considering worst-case scenarios, leaves me about oh... 30k
players worth of space, I don't think I'll have that many, nor do I
want that many.

> So far, all the calculations seem to have been assuming a worst-case
> scenario -- namely, that every player has a name stored for every
> other player.  This is unlikely to be true on a mud unless it's very

Apparently you haven't read the message you replied to completely, at
the end I suggested only storing the numbers for players who you knew.

<quoting myself>

> It seems more logical to save a list of unique ID numbers of the
> players that you know.  In ASCII This would be:

Anyhow, your suggestion for using id numbers for aliases seems to
limit the number available, I'd probably only store a 3 or 4 bit alias
id, since it's doubtful people are going to want more than 16 aliases,
or I'd want to store the number of aliases beyond that.

-- Kwon Ekstrom