[MUD-Dev] Movies bigger than games? (was Re: Digital PropertyLaw)

Frank Crowell frankc at maddog.com
Sat Mar 17 16:32:26 CET 2001

Matt Mihaly wrote:

> On Wed, 14 Mar 2001, Frank Crowell wrote:

>> geekier.  Geeks are by nature introverted.  Hollywood is filled
>> with brash, loud- (er extroverted) people.

> Hey now, let's not be a-lumpin' us all into the geek category, thank
> you very much. I may be a geek, but I'm not out of the closet about
> it.

geekiness == back room.

The first time I heard the "back room guys" expression was at Siggraph
when animation in commericals had become a big thing.  Some of the
more traditional production companies were being displaced by new
companies run by "the back room guys".  The back room guys of course
were all the programmers and animators who learned the front room
business and then went on their own.  The most famous back room guys
where the two guys that started Pacific Data Images.  They didn't even
have a front room to learn from so they had to learn to do it all on
their own.  Also if you have ever seem a picture of Microsoft founding
team, they looked more like panhandlers than a professional group of
developers.  Deep, deep backroom.

The concept of the "back room guy" also goes back to the pizza coders
which according to Urban Myth IBM programmers were kept locked inside
a room and every N hours someone would slide a pizza under the door.
This is not to be confused with spagetti coders who forced structured
programming to be invented.

> Well, similarly to who is the main star, my aunt certainly knows who
> Pac-Man or Mario is. And though Spielberg may be known, how many
> other producers or directors can most movie goers name? I bet almost
> none. I bet director-wise most people couldn't name 10. I bet the
> average person couldn't name one full-time producer.

I yield on famous virtual characters. Whos hotter Parasite Eve or Lara
Croft?  Duke Nukem or Mario?

frank