Adverts in games (was RE: [MUD-Dev] Habbo Hotel...)

Frank Crowell frankc at maddog.com
Sat Mar 17 17:59:43 CET 2001

"F. Randall Farmer" wrote:

> Integrated/Banner Ads as a way for paying for _any_ type of
> multiuser game/MUD/world doesn't work. I've got the numbers and a
> dead company to back this up. :-)

> It's not hard to explain why this doesn't pay: User attention.

Actually the whole theme at the virtual worlds presentation you guys
gave a few years ago really was a warning to stay away from that type
of revenue model (was part of the sofware developer group thingie).
Just before I started working for VocaLoca my boss-to-be was really
glowing with the whole "eyeball" model and my little inner voice said
"get out run run run".  But the head of the company was someone that
had a lot of entertainment experience and so what did little me know
huh?

frank