[MUD-Dev] Origin cancelled UWO: ORIGIN (UO2).

Vincent Archer archer at nevrax.com
Fri Mar 23 10:00:42 CET 2001

According to David Loeser:

> Wow, I was a bit surprized by that Origin cancelled UWO: ORIGIN
> (UO2).  Anyone have more insight into this?

Bean counting. The "strategist" up at EA have isolated two problems:

  - Too much expenses: we need to cut down costs

  - We have a profitable product (UO), and a product under development
  that is arrayed at the same market niche (fantasy MMORPG). UO is
  known quantity and profitable. UO2 will compete against it, is an
  unknown quantity and a bet.

Thus the decision: we keep only a single fantasy MMORPG product. By
the same token, they have axed the Harry Potter project, probably
because they found it to be in a close niche, while keeping Earth and
Beyond (space sim) and The Sims On-line (well, the sims) who are in
different categories.

Nevermind the fact that the product will probably slowly devolve below
profitability in a few years, and they have fired the team with the
know-how to make the next product in the brand before UO sinks below
the point where it can pay for the development of the next.

As someone said somewhere else, it's what you'd expect if accountants
were to dictate your strategy.

--
Vincent Archer                                         Email: archer at nevrax.com

Nevrax France.                              Off on the yellow brick road we go!