[MUD-Dev] UO2 is dead

Alornen alornen at uswest.net
Fri Mar 23 13:25:02 CET 2001

----- Original Message -----
From: "Sellers, Michael" <MSellers at maxis.com>
To: <mud-dev at kanga.nu>
Sent: Friday, March 23, 2001 7:32 AM
Subject: RE: [MUD-Dev] UO2 is dead

> I wouldn't say the layoffs at EA are "massive" by any stretch
> (though if it's *you*, a layoff of 1 is pretty important).  Most of
> the layoffs are part of EA's acquisition of pogo.com, but there are
> others being laid off in some of the various studios (Maxis, thus
> far, is still hiring people, many from elsewhere within EA).

> In terms of the layoffs, there's a lot going on here, ranging from
> long-term profitability and viability of studios and product lines,
> to internal politics, to team dynamics.  But EA rarely does anything
> capriciously.

Here's something to chew on for a while.

In 8 days Richard Garriott's (Founder of Origin Systems Inc. and
Creator of the Ultima Series) Non-Compete agreement with EA runs out.
Surely Garriott's been sitting around thinking about what to do when
he gets the chance; and now 85 of his best friends have been laid off
and are looking for something to do at just about the same time he's
looking for something to do.

Could be interesting to see what he's got in mind, it seems likely
that he might hook up with a good portion of the UO2 team.  It seems
for years Garriott's been a genius surrounded mostly by idiots, a
team-up with the UO2 team could potentially create some fantastic
games.

-Mike Grazier
 alornen at uswest.net