[MUD-Dev] Movies About MUDs & the Virtual Experience

Lee Sheldon linearno at gte.net
Mon Mar 26 20:13:59 CEST 2001

-----Original Message-----
From: mud-dev-admin at kanga.nu [mailto:mud-dev-admin at kanga.nu]On Behalf Of
Michael Tresca
Sent: Thursday, March 22, 2001 10:38 PM
To: mud-dev at kanga.nu
Subject: [MUD-Dev] Movies About MUDs & the Virtual Experience

> This is not a particularly long list of movies of this type, but I
> think it's worth creating.  A lot of these movies, weirdly enough,
> end up being about the "mobs" that we code -- what if they had
> thoughts, what if they woke up and realized they were just part of a
> game. Still others deal with the impact of such virtual realities on
> morality and self.  In any case, it's food for thought -- perhaps
> this was done before, but I'll add my suggestions (sorry, I had to
> add the Matrix):

> The Thirteenth Floor: http://us.imdb.com/Title?0139809
> eXistenz: http://us.imdb.com/Title?0120907
> The Matrix: http://us.imdb.com/Title?0133093
> Strange Days: http://us.imdb.com/Title?0114558

Not quite sure about the parameters of your list, but the following
might apply:

  The Lawnmower Man
  The Lawnmower Man Part II
  Johnny Mnemonic
  Disclosure

Does old-fashioned D&D count?  In 1982 I wrote an episode of the TV
series "The Powers of Matthew Star" that featured a Dungeons & Dragons
style LARP.  The story was "suggested by" the infamous case at the
University of Michigan.  It was Lou Gossett's directing debut.  It was
also pretty silly.

Lee