[MUD-Dev] Movies About MUDs & the Virtual Experience

Greg Underwood gunderwoodhsd at earthlink.net
Mon Mar 26 20:19:32 CEST 2001

At 10:38 PM 3/22/01 -0500, Michael Tresca wrote:
> This is not a particularly long list of movies of this type, but I
> think it's worth creating.  A lot of these movies, weirdly enough, end
> up being about the "mobs" that we code -- what if they had thoughts,
> what if they woke up and realized they were just part of a game. Still
> others deal with the impact of such virtual realities on morality and
> self.  In any case, it's food for thought -- perhaps this was done
> before, but I'll add my suggestions (sorry, I had to add the Matrix):
>
>    The Thirteenth Floor: http://us.imdb.com/Title?0139809
>    eXistenz: http://us.imdb.com/Title?0120907
>    The Matrix: http://us.imdb.com/Title?0133093
>    Strange Days: http://us.imdb.com/Title?0114558

I have to say, how could ya forget Tron?  And of course Lawnmower Man!

The X-Files has also dealt with the topic.  I can think of a couple
episodes in particular... one a few seasons back where Mulder got
abducted by a computer in a trailer, and the more recent debacle of an
episode about a VR game.

Oh, and you can't forget the copius soft-core porn that Skinimax and
Home-BO tend to air around midnight on Friday/Saturday.  ;)

And it may be stretching a bit, but there's an old Star Trek episode,
that deals with the effects of a virtual war on people.  "A Taste Of
Armageddon" is the title, I believe.

I can't speak to the topics dealt with in the Skinimax/HBO flicks
(does T&A count as a plot?), but both X-files episodes, and to some
extent Tron deal with the same, "What if the AI really was
intelligent?" theme.  However, Lawnmower Man and "Taste of Armageddon"
deal with the completely seperate issue of how computers affect
people.  Interstingly enough, both deal with it as a negative thing,
where the reliance on the computer subverts the natural order of
things.

-Greg