[MUD-Dev] Re: TECH: Distributed Muds

Chris Gray cg at ami-cg.GraySage.COM
Tue May 1 08:05:23 CEST 2001

> From: Daniel.Harman at barclayscapital.com

> Under winNT, 2000 you really need to investigate 'completion ports'
> if you intend to get efficient socket io. The multithreaded stuff
> which is part of the winsock library doesn't really sit too well on
> NT in terms of efficiency and NT style overlapped io is the way
> forward. There should be at least a couple of articles on it in
> MSDN, but its not a widely known technique.

It's been a couple of years since I had to do some stuff under the
WIN32 API, so what I'm saying here might be out of date. However, my
strong recollection is that the WIN32 function which allows you to
wait for activity from multiple handles has a hard limit of 64
handles. To go beyond that, you need to have multiple threads doing
waiting. This isn't an insurmountable problem, but it is something to
be aware of when designing a system to use the WIN32 stuff. When using
winsock, you have the opportunity to redefine MAX_FD to whatever you
want.

--
Don't design inefficiency in - it'll happen in the implementation.

Chris Gray     cg at ami-cg.GraySage.COM
               http://www.GraySage.COM/cg/