[MUD-Dev] Linear Quadtrees

gzhang1234 at yahoo.com gzhang1234 at yahoo.com
Tue May 1 15:03:53 CEST 2001

--<cut>--
Note: This message was written via the list web archives.  There is
no guarantee that the claimed author is actually the author.
--<cut>--
Original message: http://www.kanga.nu/archives/MUD-Dev-L/1997Q1/msg00033.php

On from fabius.globecomm.net [207.51.48.6] by mx01.ny.us.ibm.net id
857306106.79688-3 Sun Mar  2 12:35:06 1997
"Carter T Shock" <ctso at umiacs.umd.edu> wrote:

> Please forgive the awful image attached... I is a code monkey, not a
> artist.

> Top figure is the space divided up by the quadtree in the bottom
> figure.  Bottom figure shows the classic pointer-based quadtree
> implementation.  Lotsa overhead here. Every node in the tree has
> four (possibly null) pointers. It doesn't adapt well to disk based
> operations etc. The question is how to get rid of all of those
> pointers. This is just an overview, not a hard-core implementation.

> Look Ma! No pointers.

> The trick is called (go figure..) Morton Blocks.  There are fancier
> tricks you can do, but for those you'll have to buy the book :)

Carter,

Can you tell me the name of the book about Morton blocks you metioned?
I appreciated.

George