[MUD-Dev] fault tolerance and character files

Kwon Ekstrom justice at softhome.net
Thu May 3 09:40:47 CEST 2001

From: "Bruce" <bruce at puremagic.com>
> Kwon Ekstrom wrote:
>> From: "Steven Fleischaker" <kuvasza at winterreach.com>

>>> What sort of procedures do you all follow for ensuring character
>>> files can be loaded and/or responding to when the files appear to
>>> be corrupt?

>> I'd say that if you were worried about keeping your files from
>> corrupting, use RAID5.

> This won't protect you against corruption in memory, an errant bug
> nuking the data, power failures in the middle of writing out data,
> etc.

Obviously it won't protect you against corruption in memory, but if I
read the quote correcting it is asking how to ensure that character
files can be loaded, etc... This implies from file, since if it were
in memory it would already be loaded.

> Additionally, I'm not personally inclined to put a lot of trust into
> a single RAID unit, or any similar (and singular) data storage
> facility. Disasters happen.  Multiple off-site backups should be
> mandatory. :)

Backups are necessary, I don't say "put all your trust in RAID it's
the best", you'll notice that I mentioned how RAID could fail.  Anyone
who doesn't make backups is asking for trouble, and I made the
assumption that the original poster was already making backups.

As someone posted earlier (Vincent Archer) that you never delete old
data until the new data is secure.

-- Kwon Ekstrom