[MUD-Dev] Logical MUD Areas

Andrew McLaren mclaren at wghs.co.za
Fri May 4 09:21:25 CEST 2001

Wednesday, May 02, 2001, 12:01:01 PM, Lynx wrote:

> I was wondering what thoughts the others on this list had as far as
> making areas and quests logical in that players can do them more than
> once without it being absurd. (for instance, the ever repoping king
> that people kill for his sword, etc.)

To somewhat get past this problem, what I have done in the mud that I am
working on, is to change from the idea of an area "repopping". Areas
"regrow" instead. I have been able to work this into the world that has been
designed for my mud, but it is not easy to work this into your traditional
fantasy world.

In my world, evil beings spawn their progeny. So the progeny make up the
mobs of the world, and it is believable that they are created magically
("regrow"). If the evil being (boss?) in an area is killed then regrowth in
that area stops. To keep the mud moving, bosses do repop in the traditional
sense, but not very often. Once the boss has repopped, the area will begin
to regrow mobs until the boss is killed again.

Obviously, the mobs I am talking about are not goblins, etc as from your
example. They are things like ghosts summoned from the spirit world,
creatures from other worlds, etc.

Andrew.