[MUD-Dev] Re: TECH: Distributed Muds

shren shren at io.com
Fri May 4 22:01:04 CEST 2001

On Fri, 4 May 2001, Caliban Tiresias Darklock wrote:
> On Wed, 2 May 2001 20:12:03 -0400, "Jon Lambert"
> <tychomud at ix.netcom.com> wrote:
>> Caliban Tiresias Darklock wrote:

>>> True, but not under Windows. The Winsock concern is that an FD_SET
>>> is actually an array of structures, which is a GREAT deal larger
>>> than a bit vector.

>> No it's an array of unsigned ints.

> Hmm, I was of the impression that the SOCKET datatype was actually a
> type of structure pointer... not that I've really delved into the
> internals. I shouldn't have to. :P

The whole reason that things like SOCKET are defined is for a)
readibility and b) so these things can change in the underlying
implementation without breaking old code.  I think you know that but I
thought I'd make it clear to anyone who might not.  If you know that
time_t is a long, *forget* that fact and declare it as time_t and not
long, or pay the karmic price.

--
"I've acquired quite a taste, for a well-made mistake."
  - Fiona Apple, _A_Mistake_
  - shren at io.com