[MUD-Dev] Logical MUD Areas

Greg Munt greg.munt at btinternet.com
Sun May 6 02:49:29 CEST 2001

From: Lynx <lynx at bestweb.net>

> I've been working for sometime now on a MUD, and the problem of the
> areas being logical continually pops up. Why is it that the local
> military hasn't raided that goblin camp? Why haven't the goblins
> moved it to prevent repeated extermination?

> I was wondering what thoughts the others on this list had as far as
> making areas and quests logical in that players can do them more
> than once without it being absurd. (for instance, the ever repoping
> king that people kill for his sword, etc.)

Simply stated, areas in a lot of muds just AREN'T logical. (And aren't
meant to be, I'd wager - but I digress..) Why? Because the mechanisms
behind NPC behaviours are far too simple. Or maybe, because the areas
have been so poorly designed. Probably both.

As for repopping, that's a totally illogical concept in itself. My
advice: don't repop. Since I favour world simulations (that is, the
world should function perfectly well without any kind of player
involvement), I'd suggest developing food chains, ecologies, that sort
of thing. Imagine what would happen in the real world. If the king was
killed, they'd be replaced. Or factions would fight it out for power -
which is potentially more interesting.