[MUD-Dev] Re: MUD-Dev digest, Vol 1 #335 - 25 msgs

Jessica Mulligan jessica at mm3d.com
Sun May 6 07:15:27 CEST 2001

At 10:42 PM 05/05/01 -0700, shren at io.com wrote:
>> On Fri, 4 May 2001, Frank Crowell wrote:

>>> The Worlds.com patent specifically covers the end user's ability
>>> to limit the number of graphical images, called "avatars," seen on
>>> the user's screen. A game like EverQuest uses a more broad visual
>>> control that covers the user's ability to see the whole world,
>>> players, monsters, nature, landscape, everything.

>> Level of detail technology.  Very, very interesting - it was
>> revolutionary when it appeared in Sacrifice recently.  If he has a
>> six year old patent on it, he's got something.  Maybe not enough to
>> win, but I doubt the issue will be dismissed out of hand in court.

Actually, I believe Kesmai's Air Warrior was doing this in 1987.  I
don't remember if Meridian59 (1995) did it also; Mike Sellers or
Damion Schubert might know.

-Jess

He either fears his fate too much,
Or his deserts are small,
That dares not put it to the touch,
To gain or lose it all.

A toast by the infamous Marquis of Montrose (1612-1650 AD) on the eve of battle