[MUD-Dev] Information sharing (was: Re: Where are we now?)

Greg Munt greg.munt at btinternet.com
Sun May 6 13:02:19 CEST 2001

-----Original Message-----
From: shren <shren at io.com>
To: mud-dev at kanga.nu <mud-dev at kanga.nu>
Date: 06 May 2001 8:05 AM
Subject: Re: [MUD-Dev] Information sharing (was: Re: Where are we now?)

> There are, of course, security issues involved in releasing the code
> to an active mud.  Doing so would have to increase the chances of
> security breakins a whole lot.

It all depends on whether you see that as a good or a bad thing. Your
implication is that it is a bad thing. I wouldn't neccessarily agree;
it exposes security flaws in your software. That's a good thing, isn't
it? When security flaws are known by a limited number of people, they
tend to be 'secrets', and get exploited a lot - without administrator
awareness. When the code is in the public domain, so are its
flaws. I'd expect them to be reported more - especially if a community
of muds that use the code builds up.

High exposure to software flaws means awareness of them
increases. Half the battle with bugfixing is finding the bug in the
first place.