[MUD-Dev] Where are we now?

Koster Koster
Sun May 6 15:21:50 CEST 2001

I can't believe nobody has done this yet. C'mon, let's ALL do it and
end up with some interesting lists for the kanga.nu website or
something.

>   - Muds that define the field/industry/genre

  EverQuest
  Genocide
  LambdaMOO
  PernMUSH
  Habitat
  Mortal Conquest
  DartMUD
  AlphaWorld
  Armageddon
  Ultima Online

>   - Innovative muds that might define the future of the
>   field/industry/genre

Ouch. Tough one. I am only counting ones that are actually out. Also
note that there's some there because I do think they point the way
without actually getting there themselves.

  Dark Ages
  Asheron's Call
  DartMUD
  AlphaWorld
  Furcadia
  Phantasy Star Online
  Mankind

Were I to include ones that were not out, I'd add

  Shadowbane
  Neverwinter Nights

>   - Features of a mud most desired/demanded by users

Not a good category, but OK...

  Chat
  Advancement
  Strong sense of reputation and history
  Story
  Self-expression
  Means of social grouping
  Range of activities

>   - Features of a mud that are anticipated to be expected by future
>   mud users

  Voice chat with voice disguising
  ;Build/fully modify the world
  Script the world
  Interactive storylines

> Also, how important are the following to muds of the future and/or
> their administrators/maintainers:

>   - Marketing skills
>   - Documentation/Literary skills
>   - Graphical arts skills
>   - Hard-core coder skills
>   - Social skills

What, no design skills listed? :P Well, I am summarily adding it.

Ranked in order from most important to least important, IMHO:

  Design skills
  Social skills
  Marketing skills
  Graphical arts skills
  Doc/literary skills
  COding skills

> And, how likely are free muds to have these skills? (The assumption
> being that commercial muds will have these skills available.)

Well, THAT's a fallacy. ;)

-Raph