[MUD-Dev] Necessary Stability (was: Logical MUD Areas)

Vincent Archer archer at nevrax.com
Mon May 7 11:46:01 CEST 2001

According to Scion Altera:

> However, it appears that there must be some element of stability in
> the world to keep players' attentions and add to the
> "collectability" of the game. I am certainly making this a game,
> rather than a simulation. So, where should that stability occur?

Everywhere. :)

There are many aspects to stability, or what I'd rather call
"familiarity".

One is repeatability: if I know area X provides such and such, I'd
expect that going to area X will probably provide me with such and
such.

One is predictability. The stuff that makes maps, generates web sites
and garner a lot of following. When you can say "Mount Doom is where
the old Black Dragon lies, and we've got this route mapped".

And one of the most important aspect of stability is the ability to
compare and compare quickly and more or less accurately. This is why
people love named items. This is why people tend to call something a
GSA, rather than a Greater Shadow Armor. When you talk about a GSA,
you know what this refers to, and its a lot faster than talking about
"A BDIV Shoyoumi with +8% melee and 150% damage".

World, items, mobs, all have to partake of these aspects of stability.

The trick is, of course, to inject enough variation to avoid the trap
of too much stability (and boredom), while keeping the conservative
part of the player's mind appeased.

--
Vincent Archer                                         Email: archer at nevrax.com

Nevrax France.                              Off on the yellow brick road we go!