[MUD-Dev] I Want to Forge Swords. [Another letter to game des igners]

Koster Koster
Mon May 7 20:41:28 CEST 2001

Originally, UO was planned to have moongates (a "subway system" for
quick travel between the major cities) and a couple of travel spells,
which worked as follows:

  - go to a place
  - mark a rune
  - cast a spell (either recall or gate) which took you to the marked
    rune's location
  - lose the rune

At some point, the change was made that runes did not get lost when
you traveled. The result was that everyone could get everywhere as
rune libraries (structures full of runes you could copy) opened up,
carefully catalogued by players to permit rapid travel
everywhere. Nowadays, everyone has gate and recall, and the instant
travel is like cars; everyone's got one, and nobody likes the traffic
because it ruins the nice pedestrian community that used to exist. ;)

As a side note, originally, some of us opposed having moongates
either, because of the reduction of travel time. We were told that
they had to be there. We then pointed out crowding issues and
slowdowns that would occur if they were placed in cities (their
traditional location), so they got moved outside of the cities.

-Raph