[MUD-Dev] Information sharing (was: Re: Where are we now?)

shren shren at io.com
Mon May 7 22:17:45 CEST 2001

On Mon, 7 May 2001, Adam Martin wrote:

> [...]

I understand the concept of security through obscurity - I'm the one
over in my office who fought to use real security instead of a
crosseyed hack.  However, there is an advantage in not even letting
your players not know the exact nature of your security.

If you're running a small mud, it would be bad to bank on the
advantages of a horde of security experts spot checking your code,
because they arn't going to show up out of nowhere.  If they don't,
the advantages of showing your code are minimized.  If a security
expert does show up and offer, you can always give just them the code.

Security is a game of black against white, and there's no point in
giving them your queen at the beginning of the game.  Besides, giving
out the code, you give out every other secret about the mud, from room
layouts to monster AI.  Players jump on these secrets but get bored
when they master the game faster because of them.

> The second is that easier to find/attack systems generally receive
> more attacks. By releasing the code for a particular MUD, you draw
> attention to it, and can cause the incidence of attacks to sharply
> increase, because now the attackers have less reverse-engineering to
> perform before they can make a solid attack. Where there is a
> particular probability of anyone finding a particular flaw,
> increasing the number of attacks increases the chance (generally)
> that an attacker will find it before a friendly person does and
> patches it.

Right.  So why give out the code before you have at least one friendly
person waving thier hands in the air and jumping up and down?

--
"I've acquired quite a taste, for a well-made mistake."
  - Fiona Apple, _A_Mistake_
  - shren at io.com