[MUD-Dev] I Want to Forge Swords. [Another letter to game des

Auli auli at bellsouth.net
Tue May 8 13:44:59 CEST 2001

Koster, Raph wrote:

> Originally, UO was planned to have moongates (a "subway system" for
> quick travel between the major cities) and a couple of travel
> spells, which worked as follows:

>   - go to a place
>   - mark a rune
>   - cast a spell (either recall or gate) which took you to the marked
>     rune's location
>   - lose the rune

> At some point, the change was made that runes did not get lost when
> you traveled. The result was that everyone could get everywhere as
> rune libraries (structures full of runes you could copy) opened up,
> carefully catalogued by players to permit rapid travel
> everywhere. Nowadays, everyone has gate and recall, and the instant
> travel is like cars; everyone's got one, and nobody likes the
> traffic because it ruins the nice pedestrian community that used to
> exist. ;)

> As a side note, originally, some of us opposed having moongates
> either, because of the reduction of travel time. We were told that
> they had to be there. We then pointed out crowding issues and
> slowdowns that would occur if they were placed in cities (their
> traditional location), so they got moved outside of the cities.

You would have been correct Raph.  As an admin in The Realm I was
often called upon to 'clear the portals'.  While it was considered
common courtesy to immediately leave the portal area of a city as soon
as you arrived, quite often the admins had to police the areas to keep
the room from overcrowding.  Had the portals been near, but not in the
cities, it may have eased this somewhat.

Auli