[MUD-Dev] I Want to Forge Swords. [Another letter to game designers]

Paul Schwanz - Enterprise Services Paul.Schwanz at Sun.COM
Tue May 8 14:09:47 CEST 2001

According to Auli:

> Because the point of these games for most is to go out and explore
> if travel is time consuming and difficult people will not 'settle
> down'.  They become permanent nomads ala Everquest.  That would seem
> to be exactly the opposite of Mr. Ming's argument.

Well, I think perhaps you are over emphasizing the explorer
perspective.  The point of these games for most is to explore,
socialize, achieve, or kill things.

Also, Sie Ming mentioned the idea of allowing some creation of items
to be crafted while offline to avoid tedium.  In a very similar
fashion, travel could be made a 'time consuming' experience only for
the character and not for the player, by allowing a character to
travel long distances while offline.  Obviously, this would introduce
a lot of other issues regarding character safety and such, but I
mention it to show that there are other interesting options.
(Delerious talked about this in an essay at xrgaming.net.  I believe
that article is somewhere in the archives.)

--Phinehas