[MUD-Dev] Innovation restrictions (was: Information sharing)

Matt Mihaly the_logos at achaea.com
Tue May 8 17:02:18 CEST 2001

On Tue, 8 May 2001, Richard A. Bartle wrote:
> On 08 May 2001, Matt Mihaly wrote:

>> It's very odd, to me, to me, to consider a newer game somehow
>> implicitly better than an older one. Most people look at games that
>> way, but it demonstrates a real superficiality in games consumers.

> Well, yes and no. Games haven't reached a plateau yet in
> development. If people judge games by the way they look, there's
> still some way to go until cinematic quality is reached, and
> therefore from that persepctive new games are "better".

Nod, I pointed this out in my post I believe. This just goes to
demonstrate my point too I think. If how the game looks is what people
care about most, well, I'd tend to call that superficial. It's like
preferring one movie to another because of better special effects or
better film quality.

 > On the other hand, the gameplay doesn't improve relentlessly at
 > all. I > wish some publishers would re-release old games using
 > modern graphics.

Yeah! Of course, they do re-release popular franchises using modern
graphics and the results are sometimes spectacular (such as Donkey
Kong Country or Mario 64 or either of the two N64 Zelda games).

--matt