[MUD-Dev] I Want to Forge Swords. [Another letter to game

Sie Ming sieming at gatheringspot.com
Tue May 8 18:39:21 CEST 2001

Madrona Tree wrote:

> [...]  If there were skills to aid tailoring, and you were required
> to have those skills along with your "main" trade skill, it
> separates you from your friends who are non-crafters.  If I have to
> have sheep-shearing, spinning, weaving, dying, knitting, tanning,
> curing, and sewing as skills, in order to do what I want to do, it's
> going to separate me from my tanky-meat-shield partner who wants me
> to come with him to kill stuff, which is going to make neither of us
> very happy.

I tend to agree with this.  I don't JUST want to bake bread.  I also
want to see the rest of your game.  I don't know what a good way to do
this and be fair about it would be.  You could have an artificial
distinction between crafting and adventuring (and perhaps social)
abilities.  Something along the lines of...

You can pick between: (I'm just making up numbers)

  1) 500 levels of ability in one of the three
  2) 450 levels of ability in one and 400 in another
  3) 400 levels of ability in each of the three

I don't know that I like that either.  I think the general thought it
that you should be able to be very good at one thing (though perhaps
not the "very best") and still participate to a certain extent at the
others.

Sie Ming
AKA
Lloyd Sommerer