[MUD-Dev] [TECH] monitoring RMI-type systems

Bruce bruce at puremagic.com
Tue May 8 19:23:04 CEST 2001

I asked this question about 3 weeks ago and while it spawned some
other thread, I didn't get any answer, so I'm willing to be
stubborn. :)

One model of distributed communication between objects is that of RMI
or CORBA, where operations are intended to be transparent.  From the
syntax of a method invocation, you can't directly tell that a
distributed operation has just happened.

Other models make that much more explicit or don't even use the method
call type model for doing distributed operations.

Since the costs between an in-process vs. remote method call as well
as the potential failures as so vastly different, the former model
strikes me as being dangerous in actual use.

So, my questions:

  Do any of you use a distributed system at all?  What can you say
  about it?

  Do any of you use something that explicitly states that a method
  call is remote at the time of the method invocation, or is it meant
  to be hidden in your system?

  Have you had problems with people making mistakes with either thing
  and creating problems with latency or whatever?

  Do you have tools to monitor distributed operations and to find
  these problems before they become something larger and ingrained
  into the game architecture?  What are these tools like?

  Once something has gone wrong, do you have tools that help you
  diagnose and debug issues?  What are those tools like?

Or am I completely off the wall and wrong here and that that type of
problem never arises in real life?  If so, why?

I'd be happy to hear about non-MUD systems as well since they've
surely had the same types of design issues.

Hopefully, we can safely avoid the OODB thing this time. :)

  - Bruce