[MUD-Dev] Logical MUD Areas

Daniel.Harman at barclayscapital.com Daniel.Harman at barclayscapital.com
Wed May 9 11:57:44 CEST 2001

-----Original Message-----
From: Adam Martin [mailto:amsm2 at cam.ac.uk]
Sent: 07 May 2001 14:17
To: mud-dev at kanga.nu
Subject: Re: [MUD-Dev] Logical MUD Areas

> But that is the kind of thing that e.g. Lionhead are aiming for in
> Black & White - because it goes a long way to fulfilling the
> "immersive" promise made by many games in their marketing briefs, by
> making players actually care about their actions instead of "merely
> playing a game, which isn't real anyway".

For me B&W was a huge disappointment, the control system was clumsy
and the people asking for your help were so irritating that one was
continuously being pushed towards being evil, having played it for a
few hours I couldn't care less about the people. It seems that a lot
of people I've spoken to have a similar point of view with respect to
the game, which I find interesting baring in mind the level of hype
that surrounded it. Is it a case of the Molyneux effect or do people
really enjoy playing it as opposed to thinking 'hmm very pretty and
very clever'?

Dan