[MUD-Dev] I Want to Forge Swords. [Another letter to game

shren shren at io.com
Wed May 9 15:15:40 CEST 2001

On Tue, 8 May 2001, Sie Ming wrote:

> You can pick between: (I'm just making up numbers)

>   1) 500 levels of ability in one of the three
>   2) 450 levels of ability in one and 400 in another
>   3) 400 levels of ability in each of the three

> I don't know that I like that either.  I think the general thought
> it that you should be able to be very good at one thing (though
> perhaps not the "very best") and still participate to a certain
> extent at the others.

The UO model gives you 7 "grandmaster" skills at top level, or more
skills at a lower skill level.  Because there were well more than 7
combat related skills, there was always advantage in putting every wee
drop of skill into combat skills, especially if you were soloing
monsters or pvping.

Comparing, Ackadia, a UO variant, gives you six skills, and lets you
pick the seventh from a list of trade skills.  It also restricts you
to one character on one account.  Formerly I objected to this degree
of heavy-handness, but it works *really* well in game.  The players
get to know each other to find the skills that they need, and nobody
is at a disadvantage for the one trade skill they have.  It's a wee
bit contrived, but it does make for nice community.  Everyone has
something to offer and something to give.

--
"I've acquired quite a taste, for a well-made mistake."
  - Fiona Apple, _A_Mistake_
  - shren at io.com