[MUD-Dev] [OT] Re-releasing old games w/ new graphics

Adam Martin amsm2 at cam.ac.uk
Thu May 10 12:01:10 CEST 2001

----- Original Message -----
From: "Mathue Moyer" <Mathue.Moyer at Sun.COM>
To: <mud-dev at kanga.nu>
Sent: Wednesday, May 09, 2001 10:03 PM
Subject: [MUD-Dev] [OT] Re-releasing old games w/ new graphics

> I haven't played it myself, but I believe Dune 2000 is predominantly
> a re-release of the original Dune game with all-new graphics.  They
> also added a few new features, reworked the interface, and modified
> some of the missions, but my impression is that the game mechanics
> are largely unmodified.

Gameplay made MUCH more tactical: instead of every troop having
standard firepower & armour - with very slight variance for different
opponents (e.g infantry slightly more effective against other
infantry) - they made the variance in firepower and defence huge.

Most obvious result: C&C tank-rushes impossible. Second most obvious
result: you have to actually *think* about each attack you are going
to try.

Although I think D2000 is very close to what people were talking
about, I'm not sure about the next version, which nevertheless looks
very interesting - can't remember the name, Dune3? - but in 3D this
time.

Adam M