[MUD-Dev] [Tech] Overlapped I/O

Caliban Tiresias Darklock caliban at darklock.com
Sat May 12 09:42:30 CEST 2001

On Fri, 11 May 2001 09:57:34 -0400, "Chambers" <CHAMBERB at MARIST.COM>
wrote:

> Does anyone know if there has been a MUD written with Overlapped
> I/O?

To my knowledge, no. I am considering using it for my server, but I
have yet to finish examining how to integrate it into the network
code.

> Is it possible to use Overlapped I/O with Windows 98?

Yes and no. Overlapped I/O is built into the Winsock2 stack, so you
can use it for your sockets; however, overlapped I/O *outside* the
Winsock stack (with files, named pipes, etc.) is not possible except
on Win NT/2K. If you're on Win NT/2K, though, I/O completion ports are
considered a superior solution.

> Does a server using Overlapped I/O work okay with a client using a
> different type of winsock connection?

Absolutely. :)

The I/O method you use on the server does not make any difference to
the client. All he sees is a socket. How you work with that socket on
*your* end doesn't make any difference to him; both of you shove data
in and take data out, but *how* you do that is completely up to you.

If you want to open more than 100 simultaneous connections on Win 98,
you'll need to increase the value of

  HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\VxD\MSTCP\MaxConnections

Some people have reported instability when this is raised to more than
300-500. I think that probably depends on the amount of memory in your
machine. I'm satisfied with a 100-socket limitation under Windows,
myself, but some people won't be.