[MUD-Dev] [Tech] MUDs, MORPGs, and Object Persistence

Gavin Doughtie gavin at well.com
Sat May 12 21:09:21 CEST 2001

Bryce Harrington wrote:
> On Sat, 12 May 2001, Derek Licciardi wrote:

>> ps IMHO, I think it is time that MUD servers began to become
>> Enterprise level in quality and design.

> Would people be able to afford the hardware required to run such
> high end technology?

Just from my own experience on other systems, a *cheap* hardware
assemblage is much less likely to fall over than the software that
runs on it. Really, when's the last time a hardware failure on one of
your personal systems cost you time. OK, sure, that rotten floppy
drive failed last year.... now, when's the last time a software
failure of some sort cost you time? You get the idea.

Derek's on the right track -- once MUDs in one guise or another become
"real" businesses then the software really must survive all kinds of
failure and robustness tests that the typical hobby MUDs were never
intended to put up with.