[MUD-Dev] [TECH] monitoring RMI-type systems

Bruce bruce at puremagic.com
Sun May 13 04:39:17 CEST 2001

brian price wrote:

> I'm currently working on a MORPG system which uses a form of RMI for
> client/server communications.  The system uses object streaming for
> all client/server data exchange and has only four objects upon which
> remote methods may be invoked, namely; client, player, server, and
> character.

... lots of stuff about performance tips snipped ...

So, you don't have any systems for monitoring or analyzing your
messaging load?  Do you have any plans for some?

Adam, to save me doing another post, I'd seen some people making their
systems as transparent as possible and working to avoid having to jump
through too many hoops.

But, it is interesting that both of you replied with design-based
solutions and nothing about ensuring that the actual system hadn't run
amok or that a maintenance programmer hadn't committed some grievous
error, which is really where my interest lies in this.

  - Bruce