[MUD-Dev] [Tech] MUDs, MORPGs, and Object Persistence

Jared Nielsen grafx at innovativestudios.com
Mon May 14 07:17:25 CEST 2001

<EdNote: Attribute manually added.  Please fully attribute all quoted
text as per list page>

On Sat, 12 May 2001 10:32:36 -0400
Derek Licciardi <kressilac at home.com> wrote:

> ps IMHO, I think it is time that MUD servers began to become
> Enterprise level in quality and design.  I think one could design a
> large stable, scalable solution using some of todays business
> technology.

I'm new to the list and wanted to introduce myself.  I have just
completed a new data structure definition for our FiveStat MUD
complete with UML repository and the best abstraction of that to an
object influenced relational DB design.

What I have NO experience with is BTree indices and Bespoke ?

I already have a graphical character designer, graphical character
dresser, and have built the full vocabulary/grammar editor and a
visual gamemaster tool.

I'm a SQL DBA and a game publisher in real life, but it sounds to me
like I'm going to really be regretting things if I don't get a
hardcore MUSH hacker to work with me on this project.

I've noticed that the same issues mentioned are certainly
problems.... the movement query is relatively slow... and I'm hosting
dedicated at a professional colo facility with a replicated dual SQL
server and separate load balanced web servers.

My question is... how do I go about locating someone that would be
willing to comb through what I've done already and provide
optimization help?

Thanks for any advice.

Jared Nielsen
www.ShardsOfTheStone.com