[MUD-Dev] [TECH] monitoring RMI-type systems

brianleeprice at hotmail.com brianleeprice at hotmail.com
Mon May 14 10:43:43 CEST 2001

--<cut>--
Note: This message was written via the list web archives.  There is
no guarantee that the claimed author is actually the author.
--<cut>--
Original message: http://www.kanga.nu/archives/MUD-Dev-L/2001Q2/msg00795.php

On Mon, 14 May 2001 00:51:31 -0700 (PDT)
Bruce <bruce at puremagic.com> wrote:

> brian price wrote:

>> I'm currently working on a MORPG system which uses a form of RMI
>> for client/server communications.  The system uses object streaming
>> for all client/server data exchange and has only four objects upon
>> which remote methods may be invoked, namely; client, player,
>> server, and character.

> ... lots of stuff about performance tips snipped ...

> So, you don't have any systems for monitoring or analyzing your
> messaging load?  Do you have any plans for some?

Initially I'll be monitoring the tcp/ip port(s) in question.  I plan
to add instrumentation hooks to the system but have yet to analyze
exactly what type of information we wish to extract and where best to
obtain it.

<snip>

> But, it is interesting that both of you replied with design-based
> solutions and nothing about ensuring that the actual system hadn't
> run amok or that a maintenance programmer hadn't committed some
> grievous error, which is really where my interest lies in this.

I'm concentrating on getting a clean basic implementation online at
present. Once that's done I plan to do a needs analysis of
instrumentation requirements for the client/server communications
subsystem.  I'm certain some instrumentation will be added, at the
very least I'll add logging in debug mode.

Brian Price
-=have compiler, will travel=-