[MUD-Dev] [MUD-Dev][DGN] encouraging quick-start community for newbies

Adam Martin amsm2 at cam.ac.uk
Tue May 15 10:11:00 CEST 2001

----- Original Message -----
From: "rayzam" <rayzam at home.com>
To: <mud-dev at kanga.nu>
Sent: Sunday, May 13, 2001 11:53 PM
Subject: Re: [MUD-Dev] [MUD-Dev][DGN] encouraging quick-start community for
newbies

They don't need to get along. The point of having more than one is to
increase the chance that they will find *someone* who they might enjoy
meeting. Again, they don't need in all cases to be helpful - although
it would be easy to give benefits for doing so (e.g. if one player
completes a quest/task, and then any of the others complete the same
thing a short time later, the first player gets some (small) token
reward from the game).

I don't expect it would guarantee improvement - but I do think it
would have a generally improving effect. It would also be interesting
to see if the overall social dynamic of the game-world were any
different from being "seeded" with tiny groups of people who knew each
other from the start of the game (well, the start from their personal
perspectives).

> And finally, I'm not sure this solves any problems. If the players
> are all truly new, then they're a group of 6 lost players, who may
> all enter into the Dragon's Cave together and die. Or none of whom
> know what's going on. If its a matter of learning how the game
> works, then maybe it's similar to one of those assembly-required
> items. One person does it and muddles through. One person asks for
> advice from someone with more knowledge about assembly or having
> assembled a bike or a cabinet or whatnot once before. Or 6 people
> trying to do it together, which in my experience, inevitably
> degenerates with frustration building until it's down to one of the
> first 2 cases :)

Ah, but after one has died the hope is that he/she will at least
inform the others of the danger. Perhaps I should add that I see this
as giving people new to the game a mini-network of other people to
start off with: I didn't imagine that a task is easier to figure out
with more people thinking about it - but if you need to ask for help,
having 6 people all asking around tends to work out better.

Adam M