Emotional Responses to Traumatic Events (Was Re: [Mud-Dev] Logical Mud Areas)

John W Pierce jwp at r2systems.com
Wed May 16 01:03:26 CEST 2001

On, Mon, 14 May 2001 18:37:29 -0400, Phillip Lenhardt wrote:

> Has anyone bothered to analyze and compare cyberrape to obscene
> phone calls? That seems a more fitting parallel to me than actual
> rape.....

Study them formally? Probably not in a strict sense, but probably
enough to infer reasonably that these are not analogous events. I
suspect that there's too little verifiable reporting of "cyberrape" to
do a solid, strict study.  Poking around at the various "sociology of
muds" sites might turn up some info. And a note to Elizabeth Reed
Steere might get you some useful pointers as she should have contacts
in that world (see http://www.aluluei.com). It's also worth looking up
the the earliest widely-reported incident of which I'm aware - the one
on the original LambdaMOO circa 1991. A copy of the Village Voice
article and some other stuff was still available at Parc within the
last year, and I believe it was also at Pavel Curtis' company's site
(I've forgotten the name, but a search for Pavel should turn it up).

-- John W Pierce, R2 Systems
   jwp at r2systems.com