[MUD-Dev] Re: TECH: Distributed Muds

Bruce bruce at puremagic.com
Thu May 17 20:42:17 CEST 2001

Adam Martin wrote:

> Sorry if I'm being thick, but why would you want a MUD to be
> real-time?

Personally, I wouldn't be terribly interested in running a MUD on a
real-time OS.  The latencies involved for most operations on Linux and
other Unix-like platforms are acceptable for my needs.

What is useful to me though are some of the POSIX real-time extensions.
  Things like the new clocks and timers, AIO, and madvise() are all
useful within a MUD server.

Those aren't the same things as being on a real-time system, and they
don't get you the hard or soft guarantees of timing, but they do make
our lives easier in working to maintain a responsive server or to track
down performance problems.

  - Bruce