[MUD-Dev] Asheron\'s Call: An example of how easy it is to lose your balance.

Vincent Archer archer at nevrax.com
Mon May 21 10:19:18 CEST 2001

According to wrenner at uiuc.edu:

> It goes a little farther than that.  For the longest time, the
> pyreal has had no functional worth (you couldn't buy anything of
> importance with it), and the economy of Asheron's Call had
> functioned on the mote-key-shard standard (semi-common items that
> replaced the pyreal as currancy).

>From what I've seen, people have looked at what can be bought and
sold, for the best returns. And even with lifestone recalls, and
portal ties, a "run" takes about 1h30-2h (includes selling and
buying), for a net benefit of 100-300k pyreals, depending on your
strength.

As someone explained, at mid-high levels, you get 200k pyreals of loot
in 2h of hunting, *plus* experience.

> Leading, as you might guess, to the complete destruction of any
> sembelence of economy in the game.  I swear, this is not an
> accident.  Someone sat down and *thought* out this change.

There were other things introduced by this patch, notably the fact
that metal armor, which traditionally had high AL (armor level), but
paid for it by a big weight and awful elemental protections has had
its weight reduced by 1/3rd across the board, and protections
increased (surpassing in places the elemental protects offered by the
leather armor, who was the reverse), making the choice of
metal-vs-leather somewhat moot.

--
Vincent Archer                                         Email: archer at nevrax.com

Nevrax France.                              Off on the yellow brick road we go!