[MUD-Dev] RE: Request to mailing list MUD-Dev rejected

Caliban Tiresias Darklock caliban at darklock.com
Mon May 21 12:50:08 CEST 2001

On Fri, 4 May 2001 15:55:23 -0400, "David Loeser" <daklozar at home.com>
wrote:

>> DirectX, still I assume that you don't address a single pixel
>> through the API, but you work either directly with buffer (thus
>> breaking encapsulation) or do things in batch (thus don't really
>> use the API and introduce inflexibility, although less apparent in
>> rendering).  My

> This is true but what is the point that your trying to make?

It's worth noting that with DirectX, even if you do work directly with
the buffer, the *process* of getting the buffer is part of the API. So
when you can't work with a MumbleTech video card because it won't let
you work with the buffer, it's an incompatibility with DirectX -- not
with your software. And therefore, it's not your fault. When your user
comes to you and says "your game doesn't work with my MumbleTech
card", you can say "does it have DirectX 8 drivers?", and when he says
"uhhhh, no" you can shrug your shoulders and say "can't be helped, get
MumbleTech to update their drivers".

DirectX moves a lot of thorny time-intensive problems into the realm
of "not our problem". That leaves your developers more time for
working on THE GAME and not the rendering. This is a Good Thing.

> Lastly COM interfaces need to be planned.

I think considering this a *drawback* is pretty frightening. ;)