[MUD-Dev] business models

Matt Mihaly the_logos at achaea.com
Mon May 21 21:05:41 CEST 2001

On Mon, 21 May 2001, Dave Rickey wrote:
> From: Matt Mihaly <the_logos at achaea.com>

>> I don't want to give our usage figures, because that will allow
>> someone to deduct our revenue, but using the 15% rule off our
>> average # of players online, I come to the conclusion that our
>> business model currently makes us a bit over $30/customer, NOT
>> counting the fact that these calculations are based on characters
>> not people, and that if we based it on people, the number would be
>> higher (as our big spenders tend to spend big on multiple
>> characters).

>> That's not chest-pounding (though I'm proud of it of course). It's
>> just meant to be informational.

> I'm not sure where you got the 15% from, my experience has been that
> routine weekend peaks, barring unusual circumstances (most 3-day
> weekends, initial launch, special events all push it higher, major
> travel holidays like Thanksgiving or Memorial Day push it lower) run
> about 20% of total subscribers.  Not sure what that does to your
> figures, but it should push them up significantly ($40/month?).

I seem to recall Raph mentioning the 15% thingy here. I'm happy to
work with 20% too of course, as it does push it up to about $40/month.

> Of course, since you may not restrict multiple logins, your max
> number of logins may not have any meaningful relationship to your
> subscriber base.  For that matter, there's never been any real
> attempt to find out just how many multipe account holders there are
> in EQ.

That's a tough one. If it helps any, we've had about 1700 characters
in total purchase credits in the last 2 and a half years. Of course,
some characters spend $20 (the minimum you can spend). Some spend
thousands. And that doesn't take into account the frequent cases where
people purchase credits specifically to sell them for gold (if you buy
credits with gold, and never with dollars, you aren't included in that
1700 figure).

--matt