[MUD-Dev] Coordinate mapping with text-based MUDs

Jared Nielsen grafx at innovativestudios.com
Tue May 22 07:25:43 CEST 2001

I've been doing my research on text MUD systems and have attempted to
incorporate some elements of a graphical MMORPG into a text-based
game.

One element that seemed pretty important was the need for spatial
measurements in the game.  At risk of losing the immersive quality of
free-form text, I created a coordinate system of 1m x 1m and then
"grouped" these logical "tiles" into "rooms".  Each room contained a
master tile to which was linked all global room information like the
"look" message and the exit links, etc...

The avatar can now move from room to room just like a MUD, but he can
also "inch" around to a particular tile and examine it more closely.

Some interesting side effects include the ability (or bane) of crowded
rooms, I now can limit movement to the individual movement range
limits of the players, it creates a bit more depth in "searching" a
room completely so there's more, neat, hidden things... however the
movement requires a little bit different vocabulary that's less
natural, "N 8" moves 8 tiles north where "N" goes through the north
exit like a traditional MUD.

Now that I have more of a spatial placement of avatars I can have a
more realistic form of combat including vector tracing of missiles,
haphazard risks of striking other players in the case of critical
misses, weapon-specific range limits, etc.

I would be very interested in what you guys think about how you handle
spatial issues in a text-based MUD.

Cheers,

Jared Nielsen
www.RPG.org